Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Food Cultures ((Home & Corporate))

How do you do food at home? How do people in the U.S. mainstream do food - as shown in TV and movies? Please write a one page comparison of your family's foodways, your foodways, and mainstream corporate US food ways.

Think about implements. Speed. Convenience. Togetherness. Ingredients. Healthiness. Sacredness. etc.

In my house, my mom usually cooks all the dinners. Maybe twice a week I contribute to cooking dinner. We eat lots of pasta, salads, and fish, as an alternative to stay away from the fried foods. Because I live in a neighborhood where there are not any fancy supermarkets, we often go to path-mark which i believe carry the same items as any other supermarket. When my mom cooks she often try to stay away from salts, and use healthy ingredients to prevent high blood pressure, or diabetes, which runs in my family. The food is often made around the same time each night, about 6 p.m. or 7 p.m. When we do eat dinner we eat together, and watch corny soap operas like all my children because thats a TV my mom loves. Last but not least, when dinner is being made, my mom always tries to please everyone in my house so she makes a dish that everyone liked.

US Mainstream-
Compared to the American way of cooking, most of the foods are unhealthy. They often use too much salts and oils for example McDonalds. Lots of people in the US eat out to fast food places, which is the reason why our cultures food is unhealthy. American culture are not accustomed to cooking. The culture was born to know how to cook or taught how to cook.

No comments: