Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Final Food Paper...

From the start of time, food has been one of the most important factors within ones life, and has had an huge impact even on those of different religions. Within the second semester of school, one topic we focused on was food. Specifically, how our food is produced or even how it is being picked, who pick our food, how we shop, what we eat, how we cook it, all these things that associate with the production of food. At the start of the food course we were assigned a homework where we had to tell everything that was in our refrigerators at the moment. From looking into my refrigerator i had basic things like, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, cheese, turkey, ham, salad dressings and than i had other foods like spaghetti, vegetables such as celery, i also had plenty of fruits strawberries, apples, pineapples, etc. and most of all i had juice. These things within my refrigerator was a way for me to analyze how i eat, or what i eat. Although some of the things within my refrigerator were not healthy i thought i would question why organic foods were considered "better" than regular unhealthy foods.

As a way to understand this i did internet research from a website named "The Healthiest Foods", i found out that organic food contains less toxins such as pesticides and solvents compared to agricultural foods we usually eat. Also organic food contains more higher level of protein, vitamin c, and minerals. From understanding this, it made it easier for me to understand a different way of eating compared to my eating habits and to experience this i thought it would be a good thing to try eating organic made foods. This practice did not work out as well as i thought it would because the food had tasted different than regular made foods that i eat already. Being able to experience this was probably the best thing that i could have done. I took it a step further and understanding how my family shop in grocery stores and how healthy the foods are and how i go about buying the foods i eat.

When shopping in grocery stores, my mom always make sure to stock up on can goods, like green beans, collard greens, corn, lots of vegetable, while also buying meats staying away from pork. Most of the time she come back with chicken, & fish which are the two most meats that we eat in my house. She may also pick up fruits, like strawberries, apples, mangos, oranges, pears and that would last us throughout the month. If food begins to run low in my house she may go to the local supermarket, path mark, everything there is sometimes affordable but sometimes it is over priced. I also thought about how the way my mom cook compared to the way others within the US cooked could of been different. In my house, my mom usually cooks all the dinners. Maybe twice a week I contribute to cooking dinner. When my mom cooks she often try to stay away from salts, and use healthy ingredients to prevent high blood pressure, or diabetes, which runs in my family. Usually when dinner is served it is before 9 PM.

Compared to the Us Mainstream i notice that many Americans eat unhealthy. They often use too much salts and oils for example Mc Donald's. When the movie Super Size Me came about i thought many people would learn their lessons of eating less fast foods but i guess over time it has gotten worse.

No comments: